Tevez in talks with Alex Ferguson
A negotiation has been opened with Carlos Tevez in a bid to keep the striker at Manchester. The Argentinan player has found first team opportunities limited this season as the partnership between Rooney and Berbatov has begun to flourish. "I sat down with him only last week to stress that our faith in him is absolute and he remains a top player in the eyes of myself, the supporters and the players. It's just that three players won't fit into two positions and my job is to balance the team. Carlos understands this and I have explained that when the season really hots up we will need everyone," Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson told The Guardian.
Michel takes Donetsk role
Lubos Michel has joined Shakhtar Donetsk as head of international competitions department. The 40-year-old Slovakian referee, who retired last week because of injury, refereed the 2008 UEFA Champions League final. Michel said: "The invitation from Donetsk was quite unexpected, but I accepted the offer as I want to stay in football." Lubos Michel was UEFA Champions League official since 1998.
Cristiano Ronaldo voted World Player of the Year
The winger of Manchester United named FIPro (F�d�ration Internationale de Footballeurs Professionels) World Player of the Year for the 2007/08 season. Cristiano Ronaldo received his award in Manchester on Monday. The 23-year-old Portugese international said: "To be recognised by my fellow professional players worldwide, coming from over 50,000 players, is amazing. I would like to thank my team-mates and coaches and everyone involved at Man United and the national team, as well as my family and friends for their support. Thank you also to FIFPro for this award and for your work in protecting the interests and welfare of players around the world."
Real Madrid pursuit of Ronaldo over
"The player decided to stay in Manchester and we accept it. Manchester decided not to sell Cristiano Ronaldo and we don't want to do anything against a club like Manchester. [...] It is forgotten, not only for January but forever. I have a lot of respect for Manchester United. I have good relationship with David Gill and I want it to be like that for a long time" said Real president Ramon Calderon.
Strachan regards Manchester United as Europe's best
After they outclassed his side 3-0 at Old Trafford on Tuesday Celtic manager Gordon Strachan described Manchester United as the best team he had seen in Europe. "It was one of the best performances I have come accross watching European football. It will take some team to beat them, that's for sure" Strachan told said after the match.
Steaua coach resigns after lost to Lyon
Steaua Bucharest coach Marius Lacatus resigned after his team lost 5-3 to Olympique Lyon in Champions League Group F match. "When a team loses one match after another nobody other than the coach is responsible. It's clear that I lost the support of everybody, officials, supporters and media, so there is no room for me to go on any more" Lacatus told reporters.
Fabregas unveils his Italian enquirer
Spaniard midfielder Cesc Fabregas reveals approach from an Italian club during this summer. "Yes, it's true. I did have offers from an Italian side" Fabregas told Sport.es. The Arsenal player transfered to London from Barcelona in 2003.
Beckham joins AC Milan
AC Milan has confirmed that David Beckham agreed to move to the Italian club on loan in January. The 33-year-old midfielder plays for Los Angeles Galaxy, but the season ends this weekend. "Beckham wants to train and play with Milan. We want him. He will arrive in January and we will sign him for the rest of the season" Milan vide-president Adriano Galliani told the BBC. "The stadiums will only fill up with superstars like Beckham. With him, Kaka and Ronaldinho, it would be a dream team" he said.
Ballack misses next round
The 32-year-old German midfielder will be out of action for three weeks after foot surgery. Ballack will miss Chelsea's encounter with AS Roma on 22 October. Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said: "It is not a problem for me if there are one, two or three injuries. It is normal in football. It is not difficult for me. I need to build a different team every week".
Gudjohnsen ruled out for the match against Basel
Eidur Gudjohnsen suffered a left thigh injury while on international duty with Iceland. FC Barcelona striker will be out of his team's UEFA Champions League trip to FC Basel.
Arsenal trio to miss Fenerbahce trip
Nicklas Bendtner, William Gallas and Bacary Sagna have all been ruled out of the Gunner's next fixture at Fenerbahce. "Unfortunately we have lost some players over the ten days" said Arsene Wenger who counts the "heavy losses" of the international break.
UEFA lifts home ban on Atletico Madrid
European football's governing body had ordered Atletico to play their next two matches away from the Vicente Calderon Stadium after crown truble but this decision has been overturned after an appeal by Atletico. UEFA has temporary lifted Atletico Madrid's ban for the Champions League match against Liverpool on 22 October. Atletico hope video evidence will show there were no insults of a racist or xenophobic nature directed at any Marseille player. The Spanish club says its supporters have no prior record of such behaviour and the coach did not hurl insults at any Marseille player.
Drogba happy at Chelsea
Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba insists he is happy at Stamford Bridge despite admitting he has wanted to leave every year since he joined Chelsea in 2004. Drogba said: "Last year I said I wanted to leave and every season I have said I have wanted to leave but I am still here. This is the club which suits me best". Drogba escaped ligament damage and is now working to get back to action as soon as possible.
Torres sidelined for 10-15 days
Liverpool striker Fernando Torres will be out for about two weeks, the club have confirmed. Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said: "We have Wigan at home and Chelsea away in the league and Atletico Madrid away in the Champions League, so to lose any players is a big blow".
As we reported earlier Atletico Madrid were handed a three-match stadium ban - with a third suspended - for racism incidents against Marseille on their latest Champions League home match.
"We will appeal. I have faith that UEFA will do the right thing. I hope they will listen to both sides evenly" Atletico president Enrique Cerezo told Marca.
Atletico have received support from local rivals Real Madrid over the ban. Real president Ramon Calderon believes Atletico are being unfairly punished for the behaviour of Marseille fans. "It seems unfair to me. The police do not report to Atletico Madrid. Those that caused the problems were the Marseille fans" Calderon made statement.
Enrique Cerezo is optimistic and confident next week's Champions League match with Liverpool will go ahead at the Vicente Calderon, despite the ban.
Villarreal midfielder suffered hamstring tear
Sebasti�n Eguren injured during Uruguay's FIFA World Cup qualifying loss to Argentina on Saturday. The 27-year-old midfielder played in both UEFA Champions League Group E outings will be out of action for up to five weeks.
The heaviest UEFA punishment so far for racism
European football's governing body UEFA have ordered Atletico Madrid to play their next two Champions League home matches (against Liverpool on 22 October and PSV Eindhoven on 26 November) at least 300 kilometres outside of Madrid. Punishment follows crowd trouble and racist abuse earlier this month against Marseille. The Spanish team were also fined 150,000 EUR for the improper conduct of supporters and lack of organisation. Atletico have until 17 October to appeal the decision.
Real still want Ronaldo
"I think that next year it is going to be a little more complicated for his club to retain him. There is a hope that next year he could be with us" Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster told Marca about Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo.
Real made the United winger their top target over the summer, but the English team refused to do business and the player eventually chose remain with the Champions League winner. But despite that snub Schuster still believes a deal could be struck in 2009 for Cristiano.
Roy Keane critical of Chelsea and Arsenal
Sunderland Roy Keane has accused the two Champions League participants of signing top youngsters rather than developing their own talent. (Arsenal signed Theo Walcott from Southampton as a 17-year-old and also splashed out on Cardiff's teenage midfielder Aaron Ramsey this close-season, while Cesc Fabregas was poached from Barcelona's youth academy. Chelsea signed Leeds duo Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo.) "The word on the street is they (Arsenal) have a group of kids coming through that will be absolutely outstanding, but you go on about the kids coming through but a lot of them have been bought from other clubs, not through the academy at Arsenal. It's the same with Chelsea" - Keane said.
Do not worry about Real
Real Madrid has not been affected by the global financial crisis, said Jose Angel Sanches, the club's director. "We are in a good economic and financial situation. We are at the head of the world ranking of football clubs in terms of revenues" - he told the Real Madrid Television Station. The Spanish champion posted a net profit of 97 million euros last season, up from 40 million during the 2006/07 season.
The world largest revenue-generating clubs:
1. Real Madrid
2. Manchester United
Win your favourite player's signed boots
Go to the Adidas Challenge on the UEFA Training Ground and try to answer three simple questions. Click here.
Robben suffered injury
Real Madrid 24-year-old winger Arjen Robben faces a two week recovering after a left thigh injury during 2-2 draw with Espanyol in the spanish league last Sunday.
Real set sights on Liverpool defender
The Spanish champion Real Madrid are likely to make a bid for Daniel Agger in the next transfer window in January. "He is a player we have been looking at for a long time. [...] He is a world-class player and without doubt he would fit into our plans. [...] What we need is a defender and a striker, and, at the moment, Agger is on top of our list" - said Real Madrid vice president Jose Angel Sanches about the possibility of buying the Danish international defender.
Rivas ruled out of action
Inter defender Nelson Rivas suffered a right knee injury and ruled out of action at least 2 months. The Colombian centre-back left the action after 73 minutes during 2-1 win against Bologna in Serie A home game on Saturday.
Anorthosis heroes made high emotions
Anorthosis Famagusta became the first team from Cyprus tasting victory in the group stage of UEFA Champions League (they won on last matchday and made history). "To be honest, I never believed we would be where we are right now" - the Serbian midfielder Dobrasinovic told uefa.com. "The whole experience so far has been a dream for us" - he added. Anorthosis moved level with Internazionale at the top of Group B on four points after a 3-1 win againts Greek Panathinaikos in Nicosia. You can check this in Results page, see the Standings or just download the Full time report of their last match.
(And do not forget that Anorthosis Famagusta was the first Cypriot club to reach the UEFA Champions League group stage so this is their first attempt among the best 32 teams. Very impressive beginning...)
Scholes and Fletcher signed new agreements
Fletcher and Scholes have signed their contract extensions at Manchester United. (Ended 2012 and 2010.) "When you play at such a great club with a great team you always want to be a part of that" - said the veteran 33-year-old former England international Paul Scholes.
Govou had ankle injury
The 29-year-old French international winger will be sidelined for four to eight weeks after picking up a right-ankle injury during 1-1 draw at Bayern M�nchen in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday. Sidney Govou has been ruled out of their next group stage match against Steaua Bucuresti on 21 October.
The Chelsea striker, Didier Drogba, just returned from knee injury, left the pitch on cruthces after the 0-0 draw at CFR Cluj on Wednesday night. The player will have a scan on Thursday. "It's too early to say how bad he is" - said Luiz Felipe Scolari, the brazilian manager of the London club.
Henry happy at Barca
"I'm happy at Barcelona" - Henry told the official website of FC Barcelona. The future of the player has been the subject of speculation earlier as he is unhappy with his currently role in the left-wing because he prefers central positions. The french striker was replaced by Leo Messi against Shakhtar Doneck on Wednesday. Barcelona wins 2-1. Both goals were scored by the argentin boy. However Henry is happy now at the spanish team, it wasn't him who scored the late goals but his substitute was.
End of Group Stage Matchday 2
Anorthosis and CFR Cluj are still on the track. Here are the details: Champions League Results